Here’s one that isn’t mine (it’s my friend Suresh’s), but it triggered the question.
Japan is the Britain of Asia.
- Island nation
- Never invaded
- Industrial powerhouse (at least historically)
- Home of whisky (Suntory, Nikka Whisky Distilling)
- Belief in its superiority over, well, everyone
- Emotional constipation. I mean, I defy you to read Jay Liu’s answer to Japanese Etiquette, Behavior, and Habits: Is it true that in Japan it is acceptable to get drunk and tell off your boss? — and not think of a Merchant Ivory film, with characters never able to say what they think.
Based on a novel written by someone Japanese. Coincidence? I THINK NOT!
- Rigid class system.
- Sexual hangups, leading to strange artforms in reaction. In Japan, Bukkake and Hentai. In the UK, Carry On films and Benny Hill.