Ah, Michael, Michael, Michael…
I see this has become a random word association task, and that it has spawned Be honest: what do you think of when you hear “white people”?
OK. Let’s see where this takes me.
- Not Africans. Not Jamaicans. Not Australian Aboriginals. If I see a Somali in town (our second-last refugee intake in Australia), I don’t think “black people”, I think “damn those Somalis are tall.”
- Negative media portrayals
- Being scared while in the hood in Memphis (correlated)
- Civil rights struggle
- All that awesome music. All of it.
- I know too few black people, offline or on
- The ones I have met were all awesome
- Including here
- Should really get around to reading more Langston Hughes one day
- Maya Angelou does not seem to be a good poet
- I keep thinking I’m going to be subconsciously racist around blacks
- Maybe I am, but I don’t think I’ve allowed anything to get out 🙂
- I need to know a LOT more about Frederick Douglass
Well, that was my stream of consciousness…