Feature Releases by Rob Lion on The Insurgency
This really illustrates everything that’s wrong with Quora’s feature-release process. This new feature capability hasn’t been “rolled out” to me yet (maybe tomorrow? or next week? or six months from now?), but I’m exposed to it, because Quora users ask questions about Quora features on Quora. But, the extent of that exposure that I get is relatively wild speculation from other users who are nearly as uninformed as I am about fairly fundamental things about this feature such as:
- In what contexts is this feature available?
- Where in the Quora UI (web, mobile app) can this feature be accessed?
- What are the appropriate circumstances in which to apply this feature?
- What are the circumstances in which it is not appropriate to apply this feature?
- What are the steps in the sequence of using this feature, and what information do I need to input to it?
- What were Quora’s design goals in developing this feature?
- What benefits did Quora’s design team expect this feature to offer to the user, and/or to Quora?
- How did this feature’s designers intend for this feature to be applied by users?
Meanwhile, the Quora Product Updates blog hasn’t seen an update in more than two months, not that even that announcement mechanism does any good to anyone except the tiny fraction of users (2.4k, out of how many millions?) who actually follow that blog.
Let me reiterate:
But, the extent of that exposure that I get is relatively wild speculation from other users who are nearly as uninformed as I am about fairly fundamental things about this feature
I haven’t had this feature rolled out to me; this question is all I know about it. But so far, I disagree with everything in Mrinal Bhattacharya’s answer. From “is intuitive” right through to “Please don’t exploit the feature unnecessarily”. (How on earth are we to know when this feature is necessary?)
Answered Jan 11, 2011, by Yishan Wong, Quora’s #1 fan!
Originally Answered: Why did Quora remove the “Add Follow-Up Question” feature?
See What, if anything, is to be done about sarcastic/rhetorical follow-up questions on Quora?
So we’re getting a feature reintroduced that was last seen 6 years ago.
EDIT: some research on Iteration #1 of this functionality: Quora as Eternal Recurrence: The history of the first iteration of Follow-Up Questions by Nick Nicholas on The Insurgency