Stuff I already know:
- West Side Story. Not quite a musical, is it.
- My Fair Lady. Perfect musical, and astonishingly faithful to the play.
- Sweeney Todd. And Assassins. I don’t know other Sondheim pieces, but I’m sure they are excellent as well.
- Wicked. My wife’s fave, and I did not expect to fall in love with it, but hey, we don’t always disagree! I did fall in love with it. Never got around to buying the German recording, so I’ll need to put *that* in the list too: Willemijn Verkaik is astounding.
- Chicago. It’s an encyclopaedia of ’20s music, and wickedly biting.
- South Park Bigger Longer and Uncut. So totally counts as a musical, and one that adheres very closely to the form.
- Godspell. Meh. Jesus Christ Superstar is better.
- Jesus Christ Superstar.